Problems & Issues
Your company’s data is an asset that needs to be protected. The far reaching consequences of losing this
data is a place where no business wants to find themselves, yet it is estimated that:
• 80% of businesses who actually carry out data backups still employ a tape media back up strategy.
The use of tape media significantly increases the risk of failure of a backup and or recovery. This also introduces the potential of human error for lost or misplaced tapes. These impacts both in terms of the amount of manual intervention required to operate the system, and in the time lost in the physical retrieval of the required media. The more traditional methods of backing up data are often abused or mismanaged, opening up a high degree of risk and security breech.
Some facts you didn’t know:
• There is only a 30% survival rate for UK businesses that suffer significant data loss. The other 70%
of businesses fail within their next 18 months.
• Online, offsite backup is easy and very cost effective compared to alternatives. There is also very
little work required from your end to keep it running.
• No additional hardware is required as it uses your existing broadband connection, saving you any
added equipment costs which will only become obsolete with time.
• “60% of Business Critical data is held on laptops ”
• “51% Businesses who lose their data fail within 2 Years”
A recent study has shown that more than one-third of SMEs have no offsite backup and disaster recovery strategy in place, citing a lack of budget and resources as the primary reasons why it is not more of a priority, revealed the poll of 3,000 SMEs by disaster recovery company Acronis.
The survey also found that 71% of organisations with virtual servers do not back them up as often as their physical servers